Go Go round this world(cultural news)

[옮김] 'It was an outrage, an obscenity'

조회 수 2293 추천 수 0 2003.04.08 01:31:35

▲ 연합군의 공습으로 폐허가 된 거리를, 이라크 청년이 울면서 달려가고 있다.
출처 www.jordantimes.com  
------------------

이라크 "사람의 몸이 산산조각 난 곳"

바그다드는 학살 현장 , " 정밀공격? …그런 건 없다!"

지오리포트  ( http://georeport.net/news/articleview.asp?no=13042 )

“무고한 민간인들을 보호하는 것은 우리 작전 계획의 주요 약속이다. 이번 전쟁에서 우리의 적은 이라크 정권이지, 그 아래서 고통 받고 있는 민간인들이 아니다.”
3월 27일 부시 미국 대통령이 한 말이다.

그러나 같은 날, 영국 신문 [인디펜던트]의 이라크 특파원 로버트 피스크(Robert Fisk)는 바그다드의 폭격 현장을 ‘학살의 거리’라고 증언했다.

전쟁의 정당성을 홍보하며, 미국이 침공 전부터 내걸었던 ‘정밀공격(Precision Bombing)’ …. 민간인이 아닌, 군사시설만을 향해 자로 잰 듯 정확하게 폭격하겠다는 ‘정밀공격’의 허구성을 로버트 피스크 기자는 이렇게 폭로했다.

“20명이 넘는 민간인들이 미군 폭격기가 쏜 미사일 두 대에 의해 사망했다.”
그가 본 광경은 산산이 조각난 민간인들의 육신이었다. 그래서 ‘학살’이며 ‘만행’이라고 부르는데 주저하지 않았다.

3월 27일자 [인디펜던트]에 실린 로버트 피스크의 기사 It was an outrage, an obscenity를 소개한다. 기사 제목이 말해주듯 전쟁은 한낱 폭력이며, 외설에 지나지 않을 것이다. [편집자]

---------------------------

이것은 만행이고 도저히 눈뜨고 볼 수 없는 장면이다. 철문 위에 놓인 절단된 손, 피와 진흙으로 범벅된 길바닥, 차고 안에 있는 사람의 뇌, 아직도 연기가 나고 있는 차속에서 다 타서 뼈만 남은 어머니와 세 아이들의 시체.

내 계산에 의하면 20명이 넘는 민간인들이 미군 폭격기가 쏜 미사일 두 대에 의해 사망했다. 자신들을 '해방'시켜 준다던 그 나라에 의해서 온몸이 조각난 채 삶을 파괴당해 버렸다. 누가 감히 그들을 '부수적인 피해'라고 부를 수 있을까?

어제 아침 미군 조종사들이 짙은 모래폭풍으로 붉고 노란 먼지와 비로 뒤덮인 바그다드 북부를 향하고 있을 때, 아부 탈렙(Abu Taleb) 거리는 보행자들과 차로 가득차 있었다.

기름에 절은 자동차 수리점, 사람들로 빽빽한 아파트, 싸구려 찻집이 있는 아부 탈렙 거리는 부시와 블레어가 아직도 사담 후세인 대통령에 대항해서 봉기를 일으키길 바라고 있는 바로 그 사람들, 시아파 무슬림이 주민의 대부분인 지독히도 가난한 구역이다.

방금 머리가 없는 시체를 보고나서 충격에 빠진 한 사람은 단지 두 마디만을 내뱉었다. “포성, 섬광”. 그는 계속해서 이 말만을 중얼거리더니 살이 떨릴 정도로 눈을 질끈 감았다.

이런 끔찍한 사건을 어떻게 기록할 수 있을까? 아마도 의료 보고서가 더 정확할 것이다. 그러나 최종 사망자 수는 30명 가까이로 예상되고 이라크인들은 매일 이런 끔찍한 일들을 목격하고 있다. 그렇다면 그들이 본 모든 진실을 말해서는 안될 이유는 없다.

나는 어제 이 학살의 현장을 걸어다니면서, 또다른 의문이 떠올랐다. 바그다드에서 이런 일이 일어나고 있다면, 바스라, 나시리야, 케르발라에서는 어떤 일이 벌어지고 있을까? 그 고통의 증인이 되줄만한 기자도 없는 그 곳에서는 얼마나 많은 민간인들이 이름도 없이 기록도 되지 않은 채 죽어가고 있을까?

아부 하산과 말렉 하무드는 아부 탈렙 거리 북부에 있는 나세르 식당에서 손님을 위해 점심을 준비하고 있던 중이었다. 그 때 미사일이 서쪽으로 향하는 차도 바로 옆에 떨어지면서 식당 입구와 두 사람은 산산조각이 났다.

아부 하산은 48세였고, 말렉 하무드는 18세에 불과했다. 파편을 헤치고서 나를 인도한 그들의 동료는 “그들이 남긴 건 이게 전부”라면서 피가 뚝뚝 떨어지는 오븐 팬을 보여주었다.

최소한 차 15대가 화염에 휩싸이면서 안에 타고 있던 사람들 상당수가 불에 타 숨졌다. 사람들 여러 명이 미사일 공격으로 뒤집어진 채 불길에 휩싸인 차 문을 필사적으로 떼어냈지만, 안에서 산 채로 화장된 한 여성과 아이들 셋의 시체를 무기력하게 볼 수밖에 없었다.

두 번째 미사일이 동쪽으로 향하는 차도를 정확히 맞추면서, 금속 파편은 콘크리트 아파트 밖에 서 있던 세 사람을 덮쳤다. 아파트 담벼락에는 “이 건물은 신의 소유”라고 대리석 판에 새겨져 있었다.

엄청난 폭발음을 듣자마자 아파트 입구로 달려 온 아파트 경영인 히셈 다눈은 거기서 갈갈이 찢긴 타르의 시체를 발견했다고 나에게 말해 주었다. 그의 머리는 날아가 버렸다.

젊은 남성과 여성들이 나를 거리로 안내했다. 그리고 나는 거기에서 공포 영화의 한 장면을 보았다. 거기엔 손목에서 잘려 나간 타르의 손이 있었다. 철지붕 조각을 손에 꼭 쥔 채로.

타르의 동료인 세르메드도 같은 시간에 사망했다. 엉망진창이 된 창백한 붉은 색과 회색빛의 그의 뇌는 몇 피트(feet) 떨어진 곳의 불에 탄 차 뒤에서 발견되었다. 두 사람 모두 다눈에게 고용된 사람들이었다. 사망한 아파트 경비원 한 명도 마찬가지였다.

생존자들은 사망자의 신원을 하나씩 확인해 주었다. 계산대에 서 있던 전자제품 상점 주인, 길을 건너려고 중앙 분리대에 서 있던 어린 소녀, 미사일이 떨어진 곳에서 불과 몇 피트 떨어진 곳에 있던 트럭 운전수.

그리고 언제나처럼 다눈씨에게 구걸하러 찾아왔다가 미사일이 모래폭풍을 뚫고서 도착한 순간에 막 그 곳을 떠나려던 거지.

앵글로-아메리카군('연합군'이라는 헛소리는 집어치우자)은 카타르에서 (누가 미사일을 발사했는지) 조사에 착수하겠다고 발표했다. 이런 유혈극을 선전해서 혜택을 볼 수 있는 유일한 집단인 이라크 정부는 당연히 학살을 비난했다.

그렇다면 진짜 목표는 무엇이었는가? 어떤 이라크인들은 이 거리에서 1마일도 채 안되는 곳에 이라크군 진지가 있다고 하지만 나는 찾을 수 없었다. 또 어떤 이들은 지역 소방본부때문이라고 하지만 소방본부가 군사적 목표물이라고 보기는 힘들다.

여기서 훨씬 더 북쪽에 있는 병영에서 1시간도 채 안되기 전에 공격이 있었던 것은 확실하다. 내가 차로 그 곳을 지나가고 있을 때 로케트 두 대가 폭발했고, 탈출한 군인들이 정문을 빠져나와 고속도로를 따라 뛰어가고 있는 것을 보았다.

그리고 나서 폭발음이 두 번 더 들려왔다. 그것이 바로 아부 탈렙 거리를 공격한 미사일이 폭발하는 소리였다.

물론 어제 무고한 민간인들을 죽인 조종사는 희생자들을 볼 수 없었을 것이다. 조종사들은 컴퓨터를 통해 목표물을 조준 발사하고, 모래폭풍 때문에 시야가 흐려졌을지도 모른다.

그러나 미국인은 자신들이 해방시켜주겠다고 주장하는 사람들을 어떻게 아무렇게나 죽일 수 있냐고 나에게 묻는 말렉 하무드의 친구는 항공전자공학이나 목표물 조준방식에 대해 알고 싶어하지 않았다.

그리고 왜 그가 그걸 알아야 하는가? 바그다드에서는 거의 매일 일어나고 있는 일인데.

사흘 전에는 도심 근처에서 가족 9명 전체가 집에 있다가 몰살당했다. 이틀 전에는 바그다드 남부에서 버스를 타고 가던 민간인들이 사망했다는 보도가 있었다. 지난 주말에 이라크와의 국경으로 향하던 버스가 미군 폭격기의 공격을 받아 사망한 시리아인 5명의 신원을 이라크인들은 바로 어제 알게 되었다.

중요한 것은 지금 바그다드에서 안전한 곳은 어디에도 없다는 것과, 미국과 영국이 앞으로 며칠, 아니 몇시간 내에 이 곳을 포위하게 되면 훨씬 더 긴박하고 훨씬 더 피비린내나는 소식이 전달될거라는 것이다.

우리는 가슴을 치면서 왜 그들이 죽어야 했는지 설명하게 될지도 모른다. 그들은 9.11 공격 때문에 죽었다고, 후세인 대통령의 '대량살상 무기' 때문에 죽었다고, 후세인 대통령의 인권 침해 때문에 죽었다고, 그들 모두를 '해방'시키려는 우리의 간절한 소망 때문에 죽었다고 말하면서.

그들의 죽음이 석유때문이라고 혼동하지 말자. 어차피 우리는 그들의 죽음의 궁극적인 책임은 후세인 대통령에게 있다는 말을 들게 될테니까. 물론 우리는 조종사들에 대해서는 거론조차 하지 않을 것이다. (Robert Fisk / 번역 김지연)

원문: http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=391165

---------------------

Robert Fisk: 'It was an outrage, an obscenity'
27 March 2003

It was an outrage, an obscenity. The severed hand on the metal door, the swamp of blood and mud across the road, the human brains inside a garage, the incinerated, skeletal remains of an Iraqi mother and her three small children in their still-smouldering car.

Two missiles from an American jet killed them all – by my estimate, more than 20 Iraqi civilians, torn to pieces before they could be 'liberated' by the nation that destroyed their lives. Who dares, I ask myself, to call this 'collateral damage'? Abu Taleb Street was packed with pedestrians and motorists when the American pilot approached through the dense sandstorm that covered northern Baghdad in a cloak of red and yellow dust and rain yesterday morning.

It's a dirt-poor neighbourhood, of mostly Shia Muslims, the same people whom Messrs Bush and Blair still fondly hope will rise up against President Saddam Hussein, a place of oil-sodden car-repair shops, overcrowded apartments and cheap cafés. Everyone I spoke to heard the plane. One man, so shocked by the headless corpses he had just seen, could say only two words. "Roar, flash," he kept saying and then closed his eyes so tight that the muscles rippled between them.

How should one record so terrible an event? Perhaps a medical report would be more appropriate. But the final death toll is expected to be near to 30 and Iraqis are now witnessing these awful things each day; so there is no reason why the truth, all the truth, of what they see should not be told.

For another question occurred to me as I walked through this place of massacre yesterday. If this is what we are seeing in Baghdad, what is happening in Basra and Nasiriyah and Kerbala? How many civilians are dying there too, anonymously, indeed unrecorded, because there are no reporters to be witness to their suffering?

Abu Hassan and Malek Hammoud were preparing lunch for customers at the Nasser restaurant on the north side of Abu Taleb Street. The missile that killed them landed next to the westbound carriageway, its blast tearing away the front of the café and cutting the two men – the first 48, the second only 18 – to pieces. A fellow worker led me through the rubble. "This is all that is left of them now," he said, holding out before me an oven pan dripping with blood.

At least 15 cars burst into flames, burning many of their occupants to death. Several men tore desperately at the doors of another flame-shrouded car in the centre of the street that had been flipped upside down by the same missile. They were forced to watch helplessly as the woman and her three children inside were cremated alive in front of them. The second missile hit neatly on the eastbound carriageway, sending shards of metal into three men standing outside a concrete apartment block with the words, "This is God's possession" written in marble on the outside wall.

The building's manager, Hishem Danoon, ran to the doorway as soon as he heard the massive explosion. "I found Ta'ar in pieces over there," he told me. His head was blown off. "That's his hand." A group of young men and a woman took me into the street and there, a scene from any horror film, was Ta'ar's hand, cut off at the wrist, his four fingers and thumb grasping a piece of iron roofing. His young colleague, Sermed, died the same instant. His brains lay piled a few feet away, a pale red and grey mess behind a burnt car. Both men worked for Danoon. So did a doorman who was also killed.

As each survivor talked, the dead regained their identities. There was the electrical shop-owner killed behind his counter by the same missile that cut down Ta'ar and Sermed and the doorman, and the young girl standing on the central reservation, trying to cross the road, and the truck driver who was only feet from the point of impact and the beggar who regularly called to see Mr Danoon for bread and who was just leaving when the missiles came screaming through the sandstorm to destroy him.

In Qatar, the Anglo-American forces – let's forget this nonsense about "coalition" – announced an inquiry. The Iraqi government, who are the only ones to benefit from the propaganda value of such a bloodbath, naturally denounced the slaughter, which they initially put at 14 dead. So what was the real target? Some Iraqis said there was a military encampment less than a mile from the street, though I couldn't find it. Others talked about a local fire brigade headquarters, but the fire brigade can hardly be described as a military target.

Certainly, there had been an attack less than an hour earlier on a military camp further north. I was driving past the base when two rockets exploded and I saw Iraqi soldiers running for their lives out of the gates and along the side of the highway. Then I heard two more explosions; these were the missiles that hit Abu Taleb Street.

Of course, the pilot who killed the innocent yesterday could not see his victims. Pilots fire through computer-aligned co-ordinates, and the sandstorm would have hidden the street from his vision. But when one of Malek Hammoud's friends asked me how the Americans could so blithely kill those they claimed to want to liberate, he didn't want to learn about the science of avionics or weapons delivery systems.

And why should he? For this is happening almost every day in Baghdad. Three days ago, an entire family of nine was wiped out in their home near the centre of the city. A busload of civilian passengers were reportedly killed on a road south of Baghdad two days ago. Only yesterday were Iraqis learning the identity of five civilian passengers slaughtered on a Syrian bus that was attacked by American aircraft close to the Iraqi border at the weekend.

The truth is that nowhere is safe in Baghdad, and as the Americans and British close their siege in the next few days or hours, that simple message will become ever more real and ever more bloody.

We may put on the hairshirt of morality in explaining why these people should die. They died because of 11 September, we may say, because of President Saddam's "weapons of mass destruction", because of human rights abuses, because of our desperate desire to "liberate" them all. Let us not confuse the issue with oil. Either way, I'll bet we are told President Saddam is ultimately responsible for their deaths. We shan't mention the pilot, of course.

Iforyou..
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜
100 평화를 바라는 사람들이 여는 하루 음식점(2004년 1월 3일) [1] 시린 2003-12-30
99 [전시] 우울한 戰時 file harry 2003-12-21
98 tribute to fishmans xiola 2003-12-07
97 제29회 서울독립영화제 1205-1214 file C 2003-12-05
96 031231..FPM + Mondo Grosso file 2003-11-14
95 11월 15일 제 三회 열반화파티 file harry 2003-11-06
94 RESFEST Digital Film Festival 2003 (11.14-20) harry 2003-10-28
93 데릭 저먼 회고전(2003.11.01-11.14) file harry 2003-10-28
92 TOKYO No.1 SOUL SET 연말LIVE 결정!!! harry 2003-10-15